Graduate-businessman, forty-one others count losses as fire destroys Bauchi varsity market

Disappointed Mathias shares his grief with Bestof9ja

Graduate-businessman, forty-one others count losses as fire destroys Bauchi varsity market

By Charly Agwam – Bauchi 

A midnight fire has destroyed 42 shops located at the Student Center, Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University, Bauchi, including a Graduate-businessman, forty-one others count losses as fire the of shop of one Hosea Mathias, a computer engineering graduate from the institution who delved into business after a fruitless search for white collar job.

The inferno which reportedly started in the early hours of Wednesday morning destroyed computer business centers, barbing salon and provision stores amongst others. 

Mathias, who said he got a call at about 4am on Wednesday from a friend about the unfortunate incident hinted that the fire might have been caused by an electrical fault. 

“I ran a computer business and an IT solution center in the school premises, but I have now lost everything I had in my shop; computers, printers, furniture, generator, stationeries, POS machines and several other stuff. 

“I graduated in 2016 from the Civil Engineering Department here in ATBU but after several years of searching for employment, I decided to start this business. Although I had operated the business in a small scale from the hostel when I was still a student, I later expanded the business to what it was after graduation to support myself and people around me.

“I was told that all efforts to get the fire service to come was fruitless. By the time I got there later in the morning, I discovered that all the shops have been burnt down.

“I honestly don’t know how  I have not even started thinking about it yet. I’m just trying to be strong because I don’t have any other work anywhere, this is all I have which has been destroyed by this fire,” he said. 

Bestof9ja observed that the Block ‘D’ shops located behind the female hostels at the Yelwa Campus of the institution were burnt to the ground leaving nothing to salvage.